A patent filed by Mastercard shows how it could use data from purchase histories to infer information about the cardholder that could be used, subject to privacy controls, to let merchants tailor pricing of products and services to the individual. The patent uses the concept of charging heavier passengers more to travel on transportation services, but Mastercard says it “may also be applicable to any context that requires the knowledge of the account holder’s physical size”.
- Dollar General lets customers check out on their mobile phones
- National Bank of Canada lets merchants accept contactless payments on their Samsung smartphones
- Google explains how its BiometricPrompt API will work
- UnionPay promotes mobile payments adoption with discounts at merchants around the world
- UK government to use NFC to verify residency status of EU citizens after Brexit