A newly published patent reveals Apple could be working on a strap design for the Apple Watch that will let wearers add extra functions to their device through modular links that connect together. The modular links contain working electronic components to enable features such as a blood pressure sensor or speaker. “The wearable device may receive identifiers from each of the modular functional band links, determine functionality available using the identifiers and communicate with one or more of the modular functional band links to utilise the determine functionality,” the patent reads.
- Mastercard demos payments in augmented reality
- Pay with Google goes live on Android devices
- Apple Pay reaches 20 countries, representing 70% of the world’s card transaction volume
- Amex applies for personalized blockchain rewards patent
- Chase lets customers use their mobile phone to open a bank account