Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) and Spain’s CaixaBank have distributed prepaid wristbands to visitors to Mobile World Congress in Barcelona which let them make contactless payments. “The device can also be used as a building access control system or as a public transport card thanks to the NFC contactless technology and various mobile applications,” G&D says. CaixaBank’s Matteo Fermi has written for NFC World’s What’s New in Payments report on how mobile payments can add value to traditional banking services.
- Amazon begins delivering parcels to consumers’ cars
- Copenhagen Business School lets students make payments with just their finger — no card or smartphone required
- Contactless payments are now used for half of all public transport journeys in London
- Samsung Pay to go live in South Africa in June
- Walmart files blockchain payments data storage patents