Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) and Spain’s CaixaBank have distributed prepaid wristbands to visitors to Mobile World Congress in Barcelona which let them make contactless payments. “The device can also be used as a building access control system or as a public transport card thanks to the NFC contactless technology and various mobile applications,” G&D says. CaixaBank’s Matteo Fermi has written for NFC World’s What’s New in Payments report on how mobile payments can add value to traditional banking services.
- ANZ lets customers use smartphones and smartwatches to withdraw cash from ATMs across Australia
- Ithmaar Bank to let Bahraini consumers withdraw cash from ATMs with just their fingerprint and a PIN
- LG to pilot blockchain carrier billing system for international mobile payments in stores
- Digital currency pioneer David Chaum launches high speed blockchain for payments
- Beijing to pilot face recognition payments at railway ticketing barriers